Wednesday 4 April 2012

Making Tissue Box Covers

Fancy covers for tissue boxes have been around forever.  In fact, I have one in my bedroom which my mum made for me over 20 years ago - all made from pretty layers of lace and it still looks remarkably good, considering it's age.  So I can't bear to part with it.

But an exciting new discovery, or re-discovery for me at the end of last year was the wooden tissue box covers you can buy and decorate.   I know wooden tissue box covers in themselves are not new, I used to paint them years ago, never very successfully I might add, but they have definitely improved with time.  The ones available now have nice sharp edges which are perfect to cover with scrapbooking card and papers.


This is the first one I made, so it was quite experimental while trying out what the best techniques were for the correct adhesives, etc.  But I was honestly so pleased with the finished result, that I knew I definitely had to make more! 


A few more were made for gifts and I really enjoyed combining paper colours, patterns and embelishments - especially with the particular friend in mind who was to be the recipient.  These are definitely addictive and so much fun to make!



If you are interested to try decorating one of these boxes yourself, they are available from craft stores.  I bought mine from Spotlight and they always seemed to have plenty in stock.  These are made to fit a standard sized tissue box and you can also buy the covers for the smaller square shaped tissue boxes which are perfect size for sitting on your desk.



You can embelish these tissue box covers with as little or as much as you like.


Let your imagination guide your creativity and have some fun in the process!!



No comments:

Post a Comment