Friday 18 May 2012

Mug Rugs

A few weeks ago I came across a swap which I participated in - my very first one, so it was quite exciting!  The item we had to make and send to our swap partner was a mug rug.  Well I didn't even know what a mug rug was, so I had to do a little online researching before I could begin.  What I discovered was the most amazing little mini quilts which are used as coasters or little placemats - an extremely cute idea!

Then the fun began and I enjoyed playing around with fabric colour combinations, and sewing up a few different little mug rugs of my own.  These are the perfect little item to use up your fabric scraps because they take such small amounts of fabric.  The total made up size is approximately 6"x 9".


This one was made using one of my favourite Riley Blake fabric collections called "Quite Contrary".  The colours are bright and cheerful and the flower designs really pretty.   Here is a close up picture of it.


This next one was made using a gorgeous collection of Lecien fabrics called "Celebrations".  I love that old world, shabby chic style, so these really appeal to me too.  I just used a simple free motion stippling design for the quilting.


And this final photo is of the mug rug I made for my swap partner, Kate.  I included some Twinings Tea Bags and Tim Tams - perfect for a little afternoon tea break.


Here is a close up photo of this one too.


I loved the ribbons and ric rac for an added bit of texture and embelishment, yet they are still flat enough that they don't deter from the use of the mug rug.

These little mug rugs could be used for so many things - they are even perfect mini quilts to use for dolls or a little quilted mat to put something on.  So really they aren't limited to just the one use at all.  But don't you think they are a cheery addition to your desk or coffee table?  Something to put your coffee cup on and add a bit of pizazze to your space!!

I've put a couple of these into my etsy store and will no doubt be making more soon.  You can find them here Raspberry Swirls.  These make a wonderful gift item too.


No comments:

Post a Comment